Do you love helping people improve their lives through healthy living? Want to make a difference in a positive and encouraging environment? Have we got a position for you! Job description is below.
Click the button below to download and fill out an application and drop it off at the Forest City YMCA or email a copy to Kristi Hovenga. Call 641-585-5220 or stop by with questions.
We look forward to working with you!
PERSONAL TRAINER JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Personal Trainer (Wellness/Fitness)
Revised Date: April 2023
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Responsible for promoting fitness and wellness through the YMCA personal training program. He/she must understand and have a commitment to serving the general population in their pursuit of health and well-being; be proficient in developing and facilitating safe, well-planned individual and small group sessions; be able to build positive relationships with members and staff and be a role model for them, exemplifying high standard and values; and manage those functions in accordance with the mission, goals, and policies stated by the YMCA.
- Work with clients to plan safe, effective workout sessions helping them meet desired health goals.
- Conduct fitness assessments and personal training appointments with members and maintain records of such.
- Communicate/follow-up with members in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all YMCA personal training policies are being adhered to by your own actions and the actions of your clients.
- Be sure that all sessions are financially accounted for by your clients and class participants and all payment receipts are properly handled.
- Follow all tracking policies as directed by supervisor.
- Assist in the promotion of the YMCA personal training program.
- Maintain clean work environment and equipment, including proper use of equipment.
- Be knowledgeable of all health & wellness programs so you can inform members.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Design exercise programs that intergrade all systems of the body using a variety of exercises that improve balance, core strength, over movement quality, and health.
- Utilize our online system Trainerize to create workouts and track client progress.
- Other duties and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor.
- Exemplify and implement the YMCA Health & Wellness standards of quality, including dress code.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces innovative approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Personal Trainer Certification completed or soon to be completed through a nationally accredited organization including, but not limited to NETA, NASM, ACE, ACSM, NSCA.
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, First Aid, and Child Abuse Prevention
- Demonstrates customer services skills and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to lead an individual/group and motivate others to achieve their health and well-being goals.
- Demonstrates ability working with all age groups and ability levels.
Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.